Challenge Based Learning (CBL) provides an excellent template for students to provide solutions to big problems that they care about. When thinking about big ideas such as air, water, democracy, or animal life, students can be overwhelmed about how to make a beneficial impact in these areas. CBL provides students with a way to break down the topic and find a way that they can make an impact. I think this could be very beneficial in the classroom. Teachers will be able to help guide students through the process, but the ideas and the work come primarily from the students. This is also a great way to use Web 2.0 apps, such as Google Drive, where students can collaborate any time of the day or night.
I like that this promotes student activism in the classroom and shows students that even kids can make a difference in the world if they work together. What makes CBL truly beneficial for students is its structure. Starting them off with a big idea that they find interesting and then having them create guiding questions to narrow down their interests. I also enjoyed that in Apple's article regarding CBL, they have students develop a few different solutions to their problems and test them out with small groups. I like this, because students are able to see which ideas are effective and which are not. This way they are moving forward with an idea that they feel will work.
This is a great way for students to learn about topics that interest them, but also apply the knowledge they learned to a project that they care about.
I really like how you integrated the idea of using Web 2.0 apps to assists students with their challenge based learning! I too agree that challenge based learning helps promote activism within the classroom. The idea that the students are essentially running the entire process of CBL excites me. It gives them the opportunity to express themselves and to get involved with an issue that they care about. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteI second Amanda's comment-I think its really great that you incorporated the web 2.0 with challenge based learning. I think it allows students to feel like they have a say in what they are learning, and lets them take control by allowing them to pursue something that they are passionate about. I think this is definitely a great way for students to learn and apply the knowledge that they have learned into something that they are passionate about-and this can show students that learning can be fun!
ReplyDeleteI think it is great that students are able to test multiple solutions out with small groups. I agree that this is a great way for them to actually see what will be effective and which ones will not be. This definitely takes their learning beyond the classroom. I also really like that you connected Challenge Based Learning with Web 2.0 apps. We can take these different tools and use them together to create a very enriched curriculum. These are great ways to keep students' interest and to motivate them to learn.
ReplyDeleteAlong with the other comments I really like that you integrated web 2.0 apps into the CBL. Just like in the classroom having integration between topics or content can really help to learning and understand process. I didn't even think about the Web 2.0 as a useful tool in CBL until I read your post. I really enjoyed and totally agree with your article response!
ReplyDelete