Thursday, January 24, 2013

Transliteracy: New Library Lingo and What it Means For Instruction

This article got me thinking about my own reading habits. I love to read books, but I spend much more of my time reading on the internet than I do reading a book. That is where I get all of my current news, media, and sometimes just funny pictures. I am guilty of many things that this article points out. I will skim an article for two minutes and decide if it is worthwhile or not. It is important for me to remember to occasionally slow down and read articles thoroughly before I decide if I can use them or not.

In the past I have thought that it is important to read things in print. Overtime I have been shown that this is less important than I once thought. With the invention of pdf readers, such as the Kindle, you can now easily read books on electronic devices. Most scholarly journals are now archived online, so it is not necessary to actually read the print copy. In order to help students become transliterate we as teachers must embrace technology and show students how to use it correctly for research. We must teach students to question things they read on the internet, to see if it is a valid source.

In the science education classes we discuss inquiry based teaching. Students are taught to ask and answer their own questions. Students learn to find answers on their own, either by working through the problem or researching an answer. Inquiry based learning will help students question the validity of sources and find articles or books that will give them a good answer to their question. It is important for us as teachers to embrace technology and teach our students how to use it effectively, not only in their educational careers, but in their every day lives as well.

2 comments:

  1. Jason~

    I own a Kindle and I love reading books too so I agree with you that reading electronic forms of print can in a way be more resourceful. I do the same things you do though, I skim when reading on the computer screen to see if anything jumps out at me of being worthwhile. I like the connections you made to other courses and how you reflected on what you learned in SCED. Knowing whether or not a source is valid is key in finding quality information on an online source and if our students have the tools to retrieve that information, the more power they will hold in their own knowledge.

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that reading print has become less important, and the benefits of doing so have slowly been ignored more and more. Almost all of my current classes have us downloading and reading PDF files more than reading from the text books I purchased for $300.00. Granted, I am grateful that it is saving me some kind of money, but it doesn't mean I didn't already purchase the text.

    I like your connection to SCED. I know that inquire based teaching/learning can be very beneficial, although I seriously hated it when my professor wouldn't answer our questions. Great summary and response!

    ReplyDelete